Wednesday, July 4, 2007

I'm like an iPhone commercial on my birthday

So I turned 39 today.  Yikes. 

As part of my bday celebration I take on some of my in-laws traditions.  My brother-and-father-in-law will do things in X based on the # of years.  So for example, it was suggested to me that I drink 39 little cups of water, have 39 Cherrios, do 39 sit-ups, 39 pushups, ride 39 miles and run 3.9 miles...

We'll I don't have that level of ACD but I go with the 39 mile ride and run 3.9 so I head out for the open road figuring I'd run later in the day.  

I head out with no route in mind.  I know the area generally well but more from running so I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to get my 39 miles.  I head out on my long run routes and see a sign for Summit NJ so I head out of town towards Summit which is a great town on the rail line with a great down town area. 

I eventually hit downtown Summit and figure it's a good place to stop for a quick lunch and espresso.  CAFFEINE!  I feel the need for caffeine overtake me and I start to panic.  Where's the StarBucks!

OK, so here's where the commercial starts.  

I reach behind me and pull out my newly acquired iPhone.  I click the Google Map feature, type in StarBucks, Summit NJ and ta-da, I have a map of Summit with a push pin showing me Star Bucks.  Hey look, it's right around the corner.  I clip out and walk my bike around the corner to the Star Bucks, grab a coffee and a sandwich.

Now here I am at a Star Bucks, sitting outside on a beautiful day, across from the train station with commuters coming and going.  I'm decked out in spandex sitting next to my silver Cannondale CAAD-8, drinking coffee and sending emails, checking the weather and seeing what calls came in while on the ride (I took my birthday off but need to check in).  I finish up, check the Google Map for the best way back and head out.

End of commercial.

I logged 45 miles by the time I get back, over my required 39 and I'm in the park as I roll up to my car.  Why not run the 3.9 while I'm here.  I do a quick transition (not that quick according to Seth - 5 minutes  - but I had to lock up the bike) and hit the trail.  Running about 7s and suddenly realize how exhausted I am.  I turn at 2 miles or so and head back.  Mile 4 was crushing me. Only 4 miles and I'm dead.  When I return with the 45+4 I felt like I just finished a marathon.  OK maybe a half marathon.  I'm done.  Where's the couch.

I'm planning at some point doing a duathlon  and some day a tri and realize how difficult it is to ride hard and then run.  Hmmm.  I feel a training plan coming together.  Wondering if I can work that in with my marathon training plan.  I'll have to see if that's a good idea.

I decide not to run the Revolutionary Run 10k on July 4 (the next day)  Wasn't really into running it unless I was going to race and the way I feel I know it wouldn't be pretty.

BTW, the iPhone is freaking fantastic.  Is it the swiss army knife of smart phones? No.  But the user experience and general usability of the phone is beyond what I've seen and is exactly what I expect from Apple.  I'm excited to see what enhancements come over the next few months.  At this point it's just software updates.  GO AAPL - $127!  My iPhone is more than paid for if I sell but I think I'll hold.

No comments: