Tuesday, February 19, 2008

How to buy running shoes

A good friend of mine who I've mentioned in early posts gave birth to Gavin in December. During her pregnancy she expressed an interest in running to get back in shape in 2008. So I started thinking about what a new runner needs to know and what questions come up. I previously posted some advice based on my experiences (going from 0 to marathon+).

One topic that I thought I'd jot down some notes on is around running shoes.

Stores like Dicks and Sports Authority sell LOTS of shoes. That's where I bought my first pair. I looked for something stylish, in the right price point (given I wasn't sure if this running thing would take) a known brand and how they felt. Well, one out of four isn't bad. My first mistake was going to Sports Authority.

Yes, fit is very important. Style and price... not so much. OK, maybe price. Brand just doesn't matter. But what Big Box Stores (or shoe outlets, mall stores...) forget to point out is that there are lots of different types of running shoes depending on your feet, your running gait or how your feet hit the ground, and if you are flat footed, high arched... I soon learned (after reading a few articles in Running Times from the Shoe Guy) that there are categories of shoes: Neutral, Stability, Motion Control, Cushioning, and even Stability+, Motion Control +... What the hell.

Turns out my knees were hurting because I was in the wrong type of shoe. Cool looking Blue Nikes. That's all I knew about the shoes I was in. I soon learned about pronation. This is basically how your feet hits the ground and rolls inward. Your heel strikes a bit on the outside and then as your foot comes down you toe off. Some people overpronate where you're rolling too much and the opposite is supinate (or under pronate). These are good terms to remember when you go to the running shoe store.

After reading a bit I learned that you have two strategies to figure out what shoe you need. First is to go to a running store and tell them you are a new runner and have no idea what type of shoe you need. They'll look at your feet, ask you to walk around, even better get you on a treadmill and then bring out a dozen boxes of shoes in all brands until you find the perfect fit for the shoe type you need to be in. I'm a proponent for visiting and supporting your local running shop. Pay the extra 10% on top of the extra 20% you'll pay over some generic, cheap, well known brand named shoe that is made to sell in volume at Dicks.

The other option is DIY. Here's an article that explains feet type, shoe type and all the rest. It is worth reading even if you are going to head out to a running store so you understand what they are talking.

Do yourself a favor and give this a read. If running turns out to be your thing, you'll want to know this stuff and getting ino the right pair of shoes will make your feet and knees realllllly happy once you start piling on the miles.

Road Runner Sports has a great selection of shoes (not necessarily the least expensive) and they have a web assistant to help you figure out your foot type and what shoe you should be in. Answer some questions, have your significant other check out your feet and they'll tell you the type of shoe you need and of course make some recommendations. Nice site.

Hopefully you're one of the few that is biometricaly efficient, normal arched and normal pronating runner. There's a good chance you're not.

Lot's of good stuff here as well.

Forget brand. There'll be brands you haven't heard of (Brooks, Saucony, Mizuono...). I run in Brooks Adrenaline 7s now but it took me a few pairs of expensive Asics to learn that lesson. They fit just right and I've burned through a dozen of them. Luckily they tend to be less expensive. I started out in Asics Kayano's because they were thought to be the best running shoe made from the leader in Running shoes and that was after I learned all of what I mentioned earlier. But I bought on Brand. Dumb. Later I learned half way through my first marathon that they run small and your feet expand on long runs. Lost a toe nail and now here I am in my Brooks and never looked back.

So toss out those old, white leather, Reeboks from the early 80s and head to your local running store with a little knowledge and get the right shoes.

By the way, spend the extra money. You'll get 300-500 miles out of them and only wear them for running. They wear down differently when you walk in them.

No comments: